Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

ROW80 check-in #9


Hi folks. It is time for the ROW80 check-in, but first, I have had several requests for the story of my first and only swimming lesson, so here it is.

Swimming Lesson

It was over forty-five years ago that I had my first swimming lesson. It wasn’t planned. A bright sunny day called me to the lake shore. The sun was warm, the beaches crawling with people of all ages. It was the perfect place for a young single like me.

I strolled along the sandy beach, enjoying the warmth and dodging the racing hordes of small children. The delicious smells of busy barbecues filled the air. It was nice, a perfect day.


About this point some demon of idiocy convinced me to stroll along the docks that ran well out into the deep waters.  What the hell was I thinking? Like all fools I wasn’t thinking at all. I just accepted that I was safe and that nothing bad could possibly happen to me, ever. I was soon disabused of that silly notion.

There was a group of teenage boys chasing each other along the dock, pushing each other into the water. As they went by, two of the grabbed me and threw me in. I remember screaming as I flew through the air. I gulped in as much air as I could as the water enveloped my body, closing in over my head.

I struggled against the water, but only sank faster so I stopped. I could see the sunlight well above me and so I made a wide sweeping motion with my arms. I moved. Thrilled with that bit of progress I tried again and again.  Just as my lungs were about to give out, my head cleared the surface.

My wide sweeping motions were moving me slowly but I was tiring quickly. I began to kick with my legs too and managed to make it to the rocky shore. Scrambling and staggering up the beach, I found a grassy spot in the sun to dry out. As I was lying there, enjoying the sun on my face, I sensed someone beside me. It was one of the boys who had thrown me in.

“You sure don’t swim very good,” he remarked as he flopped down beside me.
“That was my first lesson.”
“You can’t swim? Oh Jesus, I’m sorry…”
“Not half as sorry as you will be if you ever try that again. I’ll kick you so hard you’ll be wearing your balls for a bowtie. Now bugger off.”

He slunk away and I lay there running it all over in my mind. Finally I rose, walked back down the beach and into the water. Once the water was up past my waist I leaned into it and used my wide sweeping frog motion to slowly propel myself along parallel to the beach. I practiced until I had no strength left.

To this day I still swim with the frog style. It isn’t pretty, but it keeps me afloat and I ask no more than that. So there you have it, my first and only swimming lesson.

So how about you? Where or how did you learn to swim?


Ok, now for those pesky ROW80 goals.

One: Write something at least five times or more each week.
I struggled here a bit, but I managed.

Two: Write a minimum of 2500 on my WIP words each week.
I`m way behind here, but I will catch up before Sunday.

Three: Publish at least six new novels in 2012.
Third round of edits is finished. I expect to get two novels out this month or next.

Four: Read and review six or more first novels by new authors. (I don’t give bad reviews, so don’t panic, I’m friendly, honest. J
Just finished Stone Relics by Katy Walters. I owe this one a review. Check it out.  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/125390

Five: do more to be supportive of new and struggling writers.
Doing my best here. I`m pleased so far.

Six: Publish a small collection of erotic short stories. Hey, I’ve been around for over sixty years, and this one is on my bucket list. I will make it happen in 2012.
I have several in first draft now. Working… This is such a tease isn’t it? It will happen in March at the latest.

Ok, that’s about it for today folks. How is it going for you? Did you hit your targets? Let me know how it went for you.


My book about Vampires will soon be ready for publication. The first draft of the first chapter is here. http://www.prudencemacleod.com/p/immortal-tigress.html  check it out.



18 comments:

  1. I was born knowing how to swim. I think it was some kind of mystical prophesy thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my kids were like that. Part dolphin I'm sure. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the water and swimming; I'm just not very good at it.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Prudence. You tackled being tossed into deep water, a non-swimmer, as a problem to be solved. And once you saved yourself, you went back in the water. Gutsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been one to panic, but I have to say I came close that day. I was determined to claim a victory over the water.
      Writing for me is much the same. By self publishing, I have jumped into the deep end of the pool. It is time to learn to swim again. :)

      Delete
  3. LOL I love your reply to the kid! And it looks like you're making great progress on the goals, too - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I wasn't happy with him and he got that right off the bat. I guess in the long run he actually did me a favor. I lost my fear of the water that day. Always a silver linging somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant lining. grr fat old fingers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny is I read lining and only looked back after this comment correcting it. We see what we expect to see a good bit of the time.

      I love your story. I had a lot of fears growing up and water was one of them. I did learn how to swim somewhere between 6 and 7. My mother took me down to the community pool for lessons. I remember constantly being afraid of water getting in my face; afraid that I was going to drown, but I kept going.

      I did learn how to swim but I could never master the breast stroke. I too prefer the frog. :D I also like to float on my back and look up at the clouds. One of my favorite pastimes that I haven't done in a really long time. I guess I need to find a pool. :D

      Peace to you Dear One.
      Morgan

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your swimming "lesson" turned out okay...
    And you had great progress this week. Two more books on the way? You're incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your response to the boy!
    My first swimming lesson was off a pier over Lake Michigan.
    I just remember the water was FREEZING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. last time I went swimming was in a glacier fed lake. It was a really hot day, but the water wasn't. It is a real shocker, isn't it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How scary! I can't believe someone would push someone else into the water and assume they knew how to swim! I learned how to swim as a young child, and was actually on a swim team in pre-school. Most of the pictures of me as a little girl are in a swim suit. Even on the field trip to the fire station, where I wore a lime green bikini.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emma, a lime green bikini? Girl, you were a fashion leader even then. I am impressed. Yep, I make sure my kids learned to swim as soon as possible. It is a handy skill as well as a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pru, I learned to swim in similar manner ... but I liked it so much I even move on to competitive swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was wondering about that when you mentioned it in your 7 things that you learned how to swim by accident, practically. So I'm glad you shared that story. I can't believe you were shoved into the water! That is awful. I can't imagine what would run through someone's head to make them do that to anyone, let alone a child! I am not a swimmer. Not only do I suck, but I have a phobia of being under too long. I just freak out and need to come up for air. I need the ability to pop up at any time, the assurance that there's air to breathe. Idid go scuba diving once, and it was amazing, but I don't think I could do that more than I did - meaning, deeper than the 15 feet and with an instructor. That was hard enough, but quite a feat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey April, I was about eighteen at the time. I too had a fear of the water, at least until that point, but no longer. A healthy respect yes, but fear no longer.

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest