Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Sunday, February 26, 2012

People watching and a ROW80 Check-in


It was a hurried trip across to the city on Friday. I actually hadn’t planned to go but ended up on the boat anyway. K and I sat with a couple of fellas she knows from work. I was being quiet, just enjoying listening to the gentle banter, but K knew I was cooking a people watching post.
Now, these two fellas are nice guys, soft spoken and with nice manners. I liked them both. As I said, I was enjoying listening to the three of them. The best part came when one man confessed he had never bought clothes for himself. His mother had done it until he married then his wife took over. He claimed to have over forty shirts in the closet at home. Say what?
Not to be outdone, his buddy confessed to having twenty nine shirts which he irons himself. He wears a fresh shirt every day until all are gone then it is laundry and ironing day. K suggested he buy no-iron shirts, and he admitted he had tried them, but he likes his shirts crisp, so he prefers to iron his own. Come again?
What’s going on here? Are not men always complaining of the money women spend on clothes? Do they not complain of wives closets full to the brim while they have no room at all? Really guys? I think we have just busted another myth here, don’t you girls?

All right, with that note of victory, let have a look at the ROW80 goals.


Goals.
One: Write something at least five times or more each week.
Nailed it this time.

Two: Write a minimum of 2500 on my WIP words each week.
I’ve nearly doubled that. Wheee!

Three: Publish at least six new novels in 2012.
I’ve only got a few more pages to finalize then the fifth book of the St. John’s Series will be ready to go.

Four: Read and review six or more first novels by new authors. (I don’t give bad reviews, so don’t panic, I’m friendly, honest. J
Finally put up that review of A Breath of Hope by Robert Taylor. Find it here:

Five: do more to be supportive of new and struggling writers.
See above!

Six: Publish a small collection of erotic short stories. Hey, I’ve been around for over sixty years, and this one is on my bucket list. I will make it happen in 2012.
I’ve got the stories in first draft now. Just need to tidy them up a bit. There has been a hitch here as PayPal is putting huge pressure on Smashwords to ban erotic fiction. To quote D.C.McMillen, "Paypal has decided to abuse its considerable position by imposing their moral beliefs on the self-publishing industry, forcing Smashwords, Bookstrand and other sites to remove certain categories of erotica from their websites. No corporation should consider itself a moral authority in any way, shape or form. This is a slippery slope, and even if this does not directly affect us as writers or readers...yet, we must stop censorship and book banning.
See petition here: 

Ok, that’s about it for today folks. How is it going for you? Did you hit your targets? Let me know how it went for you.










20 comments:

  1. Petition signed! I'm working on my first erotic novel now, and having so much fun. I love your goals, and have similar ones for myself.

    Love your name! From one old-fashioned named person to another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birdie, nice to meet another old fashioned girl.

      Delete
  2. Okay, you got me, my wife buys most of my shirts - although I do the rest myself (and also do the laundry). I do have to say though, I was a bachelor for a long time and never had an issue shopping, it's just that she enjoys shopping and getting things for me, so who am I to stop her *smile*

    The PayPal thing is completely wrong. PayPal is a money transaction company, they want to make money off of people buying things - really moral there. It just sickens me when I see companies impose a moral view in one area then act hypocritically in another - Wal-Mart ring a bell? Every company can be replaced, this is something they would all do well to keep in mind.

    Great week you had Prudence. Keep up the fantastic work and have a excellent coming week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gene. Hey, confession is good for the soul. Don't you feel better now? tee hee
      Yeah, PayPal has overstepped themselves this time. I don't try to force my moral values on anyone else and I hate it when they try to do it to me. Smashwords needs to find another financial institution to work with.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you have done VERY well with your goals! Congrats! I've done fairly well myself - got Coming Home available in paperback now! :) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, April, that's great. You should have included the links in your post. :)

      Delete
  4. Great week, Prudence! You're rocking this thing!
    I don't let other people buy my clothes; I'm not eight years-old. I accept clothes as birthday gifts though :)
    I do have over 60 t-shirts. I just like them a lot, especially rock bands and sports jerseys. They're cheap, they last a long time, and I never iron them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Fabio, you're such a guy. tee hee Nice T-shirt collection though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I think there is definitely another gender myth that has been shattered! I have lost count of all the tshirts that my dad owns; my mom periodically has to go through and throw out the ancient ones, because there's no room in the closet. And my grandfather has successfully filled a very large walk-in closet with his things alone (one of the perks of being single, I suppose).

    Great job on the goals, although I have to say that I am shocked/angry at the move by PayPal to ban erotic fiction. That's censorship, plain and simple, and an absolutely outrageous move. I've got an erotic novel on the to-be-written list, and there needs to be a venue for that sort of work, whether or not it appeals to everyone. Off to sign the petition now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena. Yep, a man with 40 shirts has nothing to say about a woman with a dozen pairs of shoes. :)
      They haven't banned all erotica yet, but, once you start down the road of banning books... Why is it Ok to have books depicting all manners of gruesome maiming and murder, but book depicting acts of love between consenting adults are not? Just askin'

      Delete
  7. Prudence, you have ROCKED It this week! You're an amazing woman! And here's to no iron shirts!!! Although in saying that, I send my husband's shirt to have laundered and pressed. Hey, I've done my bit over the many years. I have to have time to write, right? LOL! Have a great week Pru!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, yes you do, may the gods bless laundry services. :)

      Delete
  8. Prudence,

    It sounds like you are knocking it out of the park this week! Good for you. Keep up that great work...your joy shines right through this update. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Pru, erotica is not my cup of tea ... but I'd be the last person to ban it from folks who like to drink that blend ... shame on Paypal for going all bluenose on us.

    Oh, and for the record ... if you ever see me wearing a shirt that requires ironing ... that won't be me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just about the erotica, it is also about who's next? Sci-fi? Romance? Fantasy?

      Delete
  10. I love the fact that in the midst of your hurried trip to town, you have no choice but to sit down and visit with friends. That was the only thing I ever liked about living in an area that utilizes mass transit. You could race to the bus stop or train station but then you had to stop and breathe because at least for a little while, your speed of movement was beyond your control. I am glad you were able to spend some time people watching and it's wonderful that K knows you well enough to give you your quiet time.

    You really trucked through on your goals this week! Way to go! I look forward to reading the next St. John's book. Hmmm, I think that Cecile's grandmother should find love. That would be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Charis,the boat ride is the best part of the trip. I get to travel, but someone else does the driving. I get to people watch. :)
      Yeah, I had a great week; now to see if I can top it.

      Delete
  11. I have a brother-in-law who was in an accident who has decided Nudists have things figured out properly, lol. No need for closets, irons, washers, etc...just a mandatory physical fitness law, lol.

    You are doing so awesome with your goals! I am so jealous, lol!

    It's amazing how silly the people are who try enforcing their brand of 'moral fiber' on everyone else. They always seem to be the ones caught with their pants down when they think nobody is looking. It probably stems from a deep sense of insecurity based in their own sexuality. It reminds me of the Republican senator from Idaho who spent his spare time peeking under bathroom stalls. What a funny world we live in. As David Eddings said: "If you can't learn to laugh at the world, you'll end up crying."

    ReplyDelete
  12. David Eddings had the right of it for sure. I whole heartedly agree. Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest