Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Short Story Review




Short Story Review: New York Story: Saying Goodbye to Ayn Rand, March 8th, 1982



Normally I don't review short stories, but this one is an exceptional piece of work. Let’s take a walk down memory Lane with S.J.Driscoll.  This is only a short story, but well worth a review, for it will introduce the reader to the writing of Sally Driscoll. The story brings us the author’s reaction to the death of Ayn Rand. The blurb for the story reads as follows.

One moonlit winter's night thirty years ago, I stepped out of my everyday life to attend Ayn Rand's wake. In this brief memoir, I share the sights, sounds and scents of that night, and the choice that her death made so clear.

Perhaps my reading comprehension isn’t what it was, but the decision wasn’t all that clear to me. Perhaps if I was an American and more familiar with Ayn Rand’s work it would be different. Having said that, perhaps I missed the point because I was so immersed in the sights, sounds, and emotions of the event. The author’s writing style immediately grabs you and drops you inside the event. You see through her eyes, feel with her emotions, and experience the full impact of the event with her. I actually read it twice just for the sensory experience.

I don’t know anything about Ayn Rand, but I do know that SJDriscoll is an author to follow and enjoy. Folks, this is a wonderful read. Five stars, no question.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Prudence. Knowing the kind of writer you are, your opinion means a lot to me. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a talent, girl. As I read your story, I was there, seeing through your eyes, feeling with your heart. Beautiful.

      Delete
    2. I am a HUGE fan of Ayn Rand, as I think I made apparent in my blog last week. I think I may just have to look into this one! I have always wanted to know a bit more about her. I was first introduced to Ayn Rand in Junior High when a teacher assigned Anthem, a relatively short story that really made me think. You know it has something when a 13 year old wants more of a class assignment. I read Atlas Shrugged in college, and have The Fountainhead on my shelf at home, just waiting to have the time to actually digest the book.

      Delete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest