Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Monday, March 12, 2012

Language of Success


The musings of a meandering mind, or, messages from myself in another realm.

I have spent a few posts rambling on about focus. This time I’d like to take you deeper into the mad mind of the Seeker.

This is me meditating and this is one of the things I meditate on.

I shall begin with a discussion on one of my pet theories, the use of language and its effects on our daily lives. Language is how we communicate with each other, the world around us, ourselves, and our creator. I believe that we all create our own lives by the way we use language. The language under discussion here is English as it is my native tongue, but the observations may well hold true for many of the western European languages.


English, as we now know it, has its roots in a troubled history. It evolved during centuries of savage repression by both the religion of the day and the ruling classes. As a result we have far more ways to express the negative than we do the positive. This constant expression of the negative is embedded in the language and in the way we use that most powerful tool. It has been handed down through the generations and we continue to pass it on. It’s time for a change.

The Universal Life Force Energy (hereinafter referred to as the Force) is sentient and generous to a fault. It will lovingly present you with whatever you ask for; the key is in how you deliver the request. Focus on the negative and the Force will provide you with plenty of negativity to focus on; the daily six o’clock news is a prime example of mass negativity being lovingly supplied to an adoring audience. Ask and ye shall receive.

We are all energetic beings, break down the molecules far enough and you eventually arrive at energy, that’s all and nothing more. It is easy enough to imagine the influence of this constant bombardment of negative energy on the way you perceive and experience life. Unconsciously we focus on the negative, the toast burns, you get cut off in traffic, the new shoes don’t fit right, poor service at the coffee shop, the internet is slow, etc. It’s Ok folks, we’ve been trained this way for countless generations, and we are just following the programming.

Now we get to the good part; you can change this if you want to. The first key to a more uplifting, positive, and joy filled life experience is the use of language. (See, you knew that eventually I would get back to the point.) If you can change your use of language to a positive focus, the Force will begin to present you with more and more positive things to experience and enjoy. Better still, many of the small and mundane bits of your daily routine will begin to be less stressful, and perhaps even enjoyable. Alright, so how do we go about this great transformation? Here are a few hints, but I am saving some of the good stuff for future discussions.
• Begin with trying to eliminate all negative expressions from your habitual patters of speech. The more you practice this the better you get at it.
• Consciously change your self-talk to reflect only positive things, especially about yourself.
• Limit your exposure to newscasts and newspapers. (Perhaps cut down to two or three a week.)
• Regardless of what life throws at you during the day, speak only in positive or neutral terms. If that is not possible, remain silent.

Ok, I will admit that this one will be as tough as trying to quit smoking. If nothing else, please pause for a few moments and consider the possibilities of what I have said. Give it a try for a few weeks and see what happens, I wager you will be pleasantly surprised.
May your day be filled with love, laughter, and abundance.  Pru

So, what are your thoughts, feelings, and / or observations on this subject. 




21 comments:

  1. Changing how you think about something often preceeds action - but sometimes you force yourself to change your actions and eventually your thinking follows - but your outlook is always the key to being successful either way. Appreciated the post.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, indeed you are right. It all comes down to focus, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Ooo Yay! Succinct and to the point! No trying to pick it up bit by bit from your books. Not that I mind that. Continually re-reading Prudence MacLeod books is SUCH a hardship. (I need a bigger sarcasm ladle for that statement) You are right, this is a tough thing to do. I had a relapse of the negatives last night, and I am afraid I burdened a dear friend with it. My positive demeanor is back in place now, but I offer a word of advice. While you are making this change in your life, take care of your physical needs. Being overly hungry or tired triggers the cranky which can then trigger the negatives.

    Pru, I almost never watch the news. People think I just don't care about the world around me. I found out years ago that newscasts anger me, as do those stupid shows that stick their big noses into peoples lives because those people happen to be famous. I have also found that, if anything major is happening in the world around me, someone will tell me. Especially since everyone knows that I don't pay attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charis, if she's a friend, she won't mind at all. :) I agree, I never watch the news either and hardly ever any TV. As you say, when something big happens, someone will be sure to tell me. News casts and TV shows are geared to manipulate your emotions. Don't let them.

      Delete
  3. Ditto! I stopped watching the news after taking a lot of journalism classes in college. They train you that only bad news is newsworthy and I couldn't stand it. Little known fact: FOX nightly news, when it first started, had a segment at the end dedicated to good (or at least fun) news. Miss that.

    Thanks for the reminder to look for the positive every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I suspected as much. We sure could use a good news channel. Thanks for stopping by, Virginia.

      Delete
  4. I was having this conversation with a friend just a few days ago. I heard a needlessly negative comment and gently reminded him, "words have power". As it happens I learned a lot about this from you, Pru ;) and this guy is pagan so he knew what I was getting at. What you put out into the world will come back to you!

    My approach to world events is this: Watching the news makes me angry, sad and frustrated. So, I ask myself, am I living my life in such a way as to not add to the problems and hopefully bring as much healing to myself and the world as I can? YES! Therefore watching the news is pointless as I can do nothing more about the problem than I am already.

    Thank you for this post, I'm going to pass it on to that friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maia, glad you enjoyed the post. Yes, far too often our negativity is just a habit or a pattern of speech picked up as a child. Keep up the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize that English has more ways to express the negative than the positive. What an interesting tidbit. I've definitely noticed that if I let negative speech take over, everything suffers. I not only feel better emotionally when I focus on the positive, but I feel better physically as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcy, interesting isn't it? Yes, practicing positive patterns of speech will definitely bring good things. :)

      Delete
  7. I had never given it much thought before. How many negative compared to positive. But I’ll tell you, my kids sure know how to pull out all the bad ones when they want to. Sigh. We have been reinforcing that positive atmosphere. Some days we have farther to go than others. You always make me think, Prudence. You are wise for your years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Debra, I shall strive to live up to your assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this topic! Whatever name it goes by...it's essentially the idea that the energy you give out is returned to you.

    About 20 years ago, I lost a sister to cancer and had a huge fight with my family when she passed. I was angry and miserable. I decided that I didn't want to be either anymore. I only made one change...and it was in the way I pray before I go to sleep at night. I stopped asking for things or for explanations for why certain things had happened. Instead,I just started saying, "Thank you." In the beginning, my reasons to be grateful were pathetic. "Thank you for getting me through one more day." But time passed, my energy remained focused on the positive and my list of reasons to be grateful grew.

    Language does shape our thoughts and our thoughts do shape our lives.

    Thanks for reminding me how important it is to stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, I am happy that you found your way to the positive. Yes ma'am, an attitude of gratitude will truly bring wonderful things to you. Bless, Pru

      Delete
  10. Great post, Pru!

    I have a question for you and your readers. I have heard (more than once, in fact), that human beings subconsciously ignore the first part of what is said, and that it's another reason why we need to express things in positive terms. For example, if you say: "Don't forget to take out the trash," subconsciously the person you're talking to hears: "FORGET to take out the trash" and follows THAT statement instead. Sounds weird, I know.

    But when I've really looked at it, this seems to be the case, especially with my kids. They were driving me nuts, because it seemed as if they were doing the exact opposite of what I was saying, and they are good guys, not rebellious or anything. So I tried changing the way I reminded/asked them to do things, just to see what would happen.

    Instead of "Don't forget..." now I'll say: "Be sure to remember to..." - and I believe it's actually making a difference! I'm trying it with my self-talk, too.

    Has anyone else heard of this?

    Thanks,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, that awesome. Yes, I have heard of this and it is what started me on the path of discovery years ago. I will expand on this in a future (not too distant future)post. I'm happy that it is working for you.

      Delete
    2. Hadn't thought of that one Kathy. Will have to put it into effect!

      Delete
  11. Interesting post. I will be giving it some thought. Thanks for the perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been in the throws of retooling my noggin and this bit of 'positive' reinforcement is very timely, Pru ... thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Luck, Chris. Keep an eye on the blog, there's more coming.

      Delete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest