Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Busy Thinking



Hi folks, I've got a rainy day going here and a house full of people and dogs who are all asleep. It would be a great time to get some writing done, but my thoughts seem to be a bit scattered.

The problem? I write in two genres. After I finish a sci-fi adventure I like to turn to a romance for the next project. The difficulty is in getting my focus back into the different genre. Another part of the problem is that I have at least three series on the go right now and shifting from one to the other is tricky. Gotta keep the characters straight, right?

So, in that vein I am wondering if I should shift my work habits a bit and focus on each series in turn. Finish the six books in one series before starting on the next. I’m pretty sure I can get a lot more done that way, a lot more. I am giving this some serious thought.
(me giving serious thought to a problem)

Ok, on to the ROW80 check in:

Goals:
1.      Write 5000 words per week until first draft of WIP is complete.
Sadly, I only managed two thousand words last week. Gotta pick up the pace here somehow.
2.      Accept more requests for interviews. (Currently I only do about one in five. Bad me! I’m told I need to open up and get over my shyness.)
Didn’t get a request this week. sigh
3.      Read and comment on at least one blog per day.
I managed this one, no problem.

Well, that’s it for me today, folks. I would seriously be interested in your thoughts about my dilemma. Please don’t be shy, tell me what you think. J

12 comments:

  1. I think I would have trouble switching back and forth between series too. If you think it would make it quicker and easier for you, I say go with finishing one series before going back to the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcy, I'm fairly certain that's how it will be. I appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree if you are having difficulty try concentrating on a series at a time or if you find after two of the same you want to switch do - it maybe your brain is saying 'still have things to say, enough for another book':) - can be difficult switiching:) all the best whatever you decide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Alberta. I believe there's one more book in that series trying to get out. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  4. I can see how switching it up might make each series appear fresh and perhaps give you new ideas.
    I would have difficulty hopping between the two and am amazed that you have managed this so far. I believe the natural process would be to complete one series and then move on to a new one. However, sometimes the well is dry.
    I think you should write on one series until you feel your inspiration for it draining and then move to the other one. Write what's happening for you right now. How do you like that deep advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for the encouragement. Actually, I quite like your advice and I plan to heed it. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  5. "I think you should write on one series until you feel your inspiration for it draining and then move to the other one. Write what's happening for you right now."

    I think middleagedcoed is right. Write what the muse is telling you too. :-)Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda. Yes, I am seeing a consensus of opinion here and I believe I will follow that advice. I'll stick with one until it runs dry or is finished.

      Delete
  6. Great photo of you thinking and knitting. Sometimes when we do nothing at all, the answer we seek rises within us. I can't quite wrap my mind around 5,000 words a week (that's almost 800 words a day, even at 7 days a week). But I agree with what others have said: your own writing will call you to the right story. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, yes, I do some of my best thinking while knitting. If I can get my head into a story I can usually get close to 2K words per day easily enough. (As ling as life will give me the time. :)

      Delete
  7. I think you should have a glass of wine and relax.

    Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest