Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

My Fault



Apparently it’s all my fault. Recently I was in a car accident. I got broadsided. 

Fortunately I was unhurt, at least physically. I have been hurt in other ways. What ways you ask? To start with, I’m being held completely responsible for the accident because I was pulling out of a parking lot. Did the other car pull out of a line of traffic to race ahead? Yes. Was the other driver texting? Probably for her eyes were not on the road. Did the other driver touch her brakes? No, she continued to accelerate, further evidence that she was not paying attention to the road. However, this is all meaningless. I am being held completely responsible responsible.

What does this mean for me? Well my car is gone and I cannot afford to replace it.  The insurance company gave me $4800 for the car, but now they want $4400 per year for insurance. 45+ years of a clean driving record means nothing. The fact that, during those years I have spent well over $100,000 on car insurance means nothing. The simple fact now is I live in a rural area and can no longer afford to own a car.

Thanks a lot, insurance company. I hope the payouts from hurricane Sandy drive you into bankruptcy.
Okay, I’ll stop whining now. On with the good stuff. Time for the ROW80 check-in.

Goals:
1.      Write 5000 words per week until first draft of WIP is complete.
So far I have about two thousand words written. I should be able to make it.
2.      Accept more requests for interviews. (Currently I only do about one in five. Bad me! I’m told I need to open up and get over my shyness.)
I did actually agree to an interview at some future date.
3.      Read and comment on at least one blog per day.
This one was easy and a pleasure to do. Succeeded here!

Okay, I know I’m not the only one who is disappointed with their insurance company. Care to share, folks? Should we start a support group?


10 comments:

  1. Holy smokes! That rate is what people with multiple DUIs pay around here! I'm glad this awful news hasn't affected your writing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jennette, I'll survive. My partner and I are sharing her little truck now. It will be a while before I replace the car. Inconvenient, yes, but not the end of my world. Who knows, maybe my next book will be the one to buy me a new set of wheels. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Prudence, that totally bites!!! Seriously.

    I have never understood why we pay for insurance cause God help us if we ever need it - cause we pay for it all over again?! It makes no sense!!! You've well paid your dues and that should be recognized and honored...

    I feel for ya...sending big hugs!!!

    Glad to hear you are physically ok...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for the hugs and the sympathy, Natalie. It was just what I needed to perk up my day. :)

      Delete
  3. I have said repeatedly that insurance is a big scam. We have no choice but to have it and at the first accident they hike the rates or terminate you. Even when, as in your case and the case for others, you have paid for years far more than you receive in return.

    It makes me angry.

    I see great things for you Prudence. I see lots of love, writing, books, and you being able to have the car you want. Much love and abundance to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgan, thanks for the love and support. :) You rock!

      Delete
  4. That's completely unfair. I realize why some of the rules for who's at fault exist, but they're not always an accurate account of what happened. I hope something good comes your way really soon to make up for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Marcy, actually, that's usually the way it is for me, I fall then bounce back better than ever. Thanks so much for the support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't even get me started about insurance post-hurricane. Ike repairs were a nightmare!

    Most importantly, though, I hope you're okay. That car is really smashed. Best wishes figuring out transportation. What a mess!

    Good job with the 2k word count in spite of your week. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Julie, thanks for the kind words. We still have my partner's little truck so we will manage somehow. Hope you didn't take any damage from Sandy. I feel so bad for all those folks caught in her path.

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest