Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Fail!


This past few days have been the days you don’t really want to face up to. Nothing really bad happened; it’s just that it is hard to admit that nothing really useful got done. I had to make several trips across to the city for unforeseen errands, spent way too much money, and accomplished nothing that I really wanted to. I spent way too much time here:


And not nearly enough time here:

So now I’ll fess up with the official ROW80 check-in:


Goals:
1.      Write 5000 words per week until first draft of WIP is complete.
Complete fail here; not a word written. I will have to play catch up for the rest of the week to stay on track.
2.      Accept more requests for interviews. (Currently I only do about one in five. Bad me! I’m told I need to open up and get over my shyness.)
I did actually agree to an interview at some future date.  Could be fun for sure.
3.      Read and comment on at least one blog per day.
This I did manage to do. Reading blogs is fun and about all I managed so far this week.
So tell me, folks, how do you get your head back into the game after a few days where it all goes sideways? Any special techniques?
Don’t forget, I’m always up for an interview.

14 comments:

  1. I'm kinda relieved to see that you're human like the rest of us! I was starting to wonder if you were Superwoman. :)

    I have all too many weeks like this. Only thing we can do is jump back in where we left off. I've gotten so I build in a day off or so in my goals, because there's always going to be something. Good luck getting back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl...happens to the best of us!!! Chalk it up to "c'est la vie" and continue trudging ahead at warp speed! May the muse whisper sweet nothings in your ear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to lure the muse with coffee and chocolate. I'll keep you posted. :)

      Delete
  3. Usually, I talk to my big sister and she reminds me that however much I REALLY wanted to be parked in front of my computer, keys clacking away, life happens. Things that you can't foresee pop up and all of a sudden you have a detour. Don't worry, you'll get back on track. You'll probably end up getting ahead of your word count if I know you. Seems you come from a household of workaholics...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I do feel a writing binge coming on. hee hee hee

      Delete
  4. You went "sideways"...Funny, when I started reading your blog, I was thinking you ought to WORK sideways. Do a short story or go for a walk. I don't commit to a number of words per week, since I write my MS out longhand. Not gonna go back and count them, thank you. I guess it all depends on the urgency you feel about getting your work out. Not being a workaholic, and preferring to be outside rather than in front of this mindsucking techbox, I can't say truthfully that I can relate to the urgency. But I do think that letting it rest and not getting too worried is probably the best way to go. It's like mixing flour--if you worry the dough too much, it gets tough. Same with writing--if you write when you are out of the mood, the narrative gets tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K.R. We all work differently, don't we. If I wrote long hand, I'd never be able to read it. :) I like to get the story into first draft as quickly as possible before I lose interest in it. I have quite a number of unfinished manuscripts that got abandoned when life gave me a sideways bump.
      Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy the great outdoors. :)

      Delete
  5. Your picture of the ferries (those are ferries, right, meaning you had to take a ferry to get to the city?) was kind of pretty. Maybe it wasn't all bad?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liv, yes, those are ferry boats. Newfoundland is a big island, and I live on a smaller island in one of the big bays. Life here is intimately connected with the ferry boats. No, it wasn't all bad, I got lots of knitting done and some work on a story line. Thanks for the nudge to the bright side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately it seems like I have days like that all the time. Much like Scarlett O'Hara (one of my all time favorite literary heroines) I tell myself that "tomorrow is another day."

    Hang in there. You need the non-productive days to appreciate the productive ones.

    Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

    P.S. Thanks so much for the gift certificate. My earrings should be arriving shortly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, glad you found something you like. Yes, I decided to enjoy a few down days and now things are rolling right along again. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  8. 2 out of three goals completed is good. You need those days when you can take a break and come back to it. I'm sure you'll reach the 5,000 by the end of the week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey D. Ann, thanks for the kind words. Yes indeed, I think I did need a rest. Right back in full swing now.

      Delete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest