Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Human Hive




The past few days have been sunny. Now you would suspect this to be a good thing, and it is. However, there is something about human when the first sunny days of Spring happen along. Yes, this Spring is no exception.
Sitting at my computer in my dark little work space, I suddenly found myself unable to concentrate. I felt like I was in the center of a bee hive. First the neighbor on the right came out with the ride-on lawnmower. An hour or so later the ride-on was exchanged for the push power mower to do the edges, then the gas weed wacker to finish the job. Before that was finished, the neighbor on the left came out with his ride-on mower, then the push mower, and then the weed machine, but before he was finished the guy next to him got out the ride-on and…
All right, so you get the idea. I know, I know, it has to be done. Why? I cry to the wilderness? All that grass could feed a small herd of cattle providing meat for the winter. Perhaps put in gardens that could supply enough food for the whole neighborhood. Why must we spend fortunes and pollute the atmosphere tending that inedible crop and then import food from China?


Okay, I’ve had my rant and feel better now. So, let’s get to those pesky ROW80 goals.

The Goals

1.      Blog twice each week over and above my ROW80 check-ins
Working on it, but struggling a bit.

2.      Continue to read and comment on the blogs of my fellow writers
Loving this part and having no problem meeting this goal.

3.      Write at least 2K words on a WIP each week
Already nearly doubled that and the week is young. Wheee!

4.      I set out to publish six novels this year. I managed three last round, and two more between rounds, so that leaves me with one more novel to publish. I will see if I can get it out this round.
I am feeling good about this one. Something should hit the shelves later this month.

5.      Read and review two or more first novels by new writers this round
Working on this one.

6.      Publish two or more short works, between five and twenty five thousand words.
Got some stuff in the works, but it is still in the works.

So, how did you folks do on your goals? Yes? No? Maybe you have a favorite rant to share. I’m listening so let me hear from you.

7 comments:

  1. I'm SO with you on the lawn care complaint. I feel ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo, you want a small herd of Pygmie Goats? You could share them with your neighbors. Or Just let them keep your grass down (and fertilized) and collect grass clippings from your neighbors through the summer to feed your natrual lawn mowers in the winter. See? I asked a better quality guestion and came up with an answer!! Hee hee Hee! In case you were wondering if we pay attention to your posts....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want the goats, or fill the yard with dwarf fruit trees and keep chickens. Something that I can use instead of grass.

      Delete
  3. And how close to your neighbors were you chain-sawing? LOL!
    But I hate lawns, really. Why should our yards look like an English manor?
    My neighbors across the street have suburbia-type grass but on this side of the street it's still country. We have whatever grows and our buddy comes and hacks it down once a year with a big machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sally, Actually I was right beside their fence, but I used an electric chainsaw, no noise, no fumes, just lots of saw dust to track into my own house. :)
      I guess my big thing is why do we depend on imported food when so much arable land is used for grass that we don't eat nor do we allow any other creatures to eat it. It makes no sense to me at all.

      Delete
  4. We don't have enought grass to warant a lawn mower anymore. We got rid of it a few years ago. My mother uses goats to keep the wild grass trim. :) I'd say that's going about it the natural way. Your grass looks amazing! I bet my kids would love to have that much space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, good for you on the grass and kudos to your Mom, that's the solution I'd prefer.
      That's not my lawn, sweetie, it a picture I used to illustrate my point. My grass looks like a bit of green dropped on a moonscape. I cut parts with a chainsaw.

      Delete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest