Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dog Walk Meditation




How to meditate and walk dogs at the same time.

First you pull on your dog walking togs.  Sounds easy enough, except when all four canine supervisors begin to micro manage the process at the same time.  Stress, right off the bat.  By the time the boots are on and you have attached the leashes, they’re ready go.  Out the door and down the street at a brisk march to burn off last night’s ice cream and their enthusiasm. 

The march gets you breathing deeply and rhythmically, the endorphins kick in and you feel wonderful.  Soon you arrive at a dirt road leading to an expanse of open fields and forest.  You unclip the leashes and they’re off and frolicking.  You can march easily now, no one pulling you this way and that. The sun is warm on your back, the air filled with the sweet scent of wild grass and trees, and the gentle breeze off the water cools your face.  You set your mind free, focusing only on the sensations your environment provides, reveling in the oneness with the living earth, and feeding your soul from the sheer joy your canine companions take in accompanying you through this wonderland.

At length you reach the end of the path and it is time to clip the leashes back on.  They are all panting now, tired and ready for the long march home.  There is no pulling on the leash, they just trot along beside you, enjoying your company.  You keep a steady pace, matching your breathing to the rhythm of your boots on the pavement, lost in the magic of it all.

You reach home, unclip and hang up the leashes, give the dogs fresh water and a biscuit, then settle in with your coffee and computer.  Meditation is finished, you are refreshed and ready for a Wednesday ROW80 check-in.

So, on to the goals.
1.      Blog twice each week.
I’m right on track here.

2.      Continue to read and comment on the blogs of my fellow writers
Having fun with this one as always.

3.      Write at least 4K words per week.
Already done for this week. Everything from now to Sunday is a bonus.

4.      Read at least one book every two weeks.
Finished “On Writing” by Stephen King. Loved it. This will be well dog eared before I’m finished with this career. I am now reading Quicksilver by Amanda Quick. Loving it.

I've shifted my focus back to actual writing and am having fun. Perhaps I'll post an excerpt soon of the current project. How are you folks doing? Reaching your goals? Do you take time to meditate with dogs? 

9 comments:

  1. So true! That's the first thing I do in the morning (well, after taking the kids to school) but before writing. Dogs are so good at keeping us grounded to love and nature. Wait...didn't you have two giant white dogs, too???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon, these four characters are my kids. tee hee. Nope, wasn't me with the two big white ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Prudence, your dog walking meditation sounds wonderful. Glad you are on track and then some.

    Peace,
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The walk with the puppies, after all the tugging was over, sounds divine. Been having some issues with my furbaby so I haven't had her out for a walk lately and I miss it...this sounds heavenly to me!
    GREAT work on the ROW Prudence - woot woot - rocking it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing quite like a walk with furbabies, is there?

      Delete
  5. Sounds wonderful. I miss having dogs. Perhaps when I am able to actually be home more often and actually have a dog friendly yard. Hmmm. Must discuss this with the cats. I know they will want a say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures of your dogs, Prudence! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest