Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dilemma




It is time for the ROW80 check-in again and this time there’s a problem I rarely face. I have no idea at all what to do next. The bomb fell last night. I have been all pumped because I had a manuscript being edited and she seemed to like the story. Last night I got the verdict. “I love this. It is a sweet story and I just love the characters, but… there isn’t nearly enough angst or challenges here to hold the average reader.”


Ouch. A moment to think and I knew the truth; it would be more work to fix it than it would be to write a new one from scratch. So, that one goes to the back burner. Now the dilemma; what to do next?

I wanted to put out another romance next, and I do have a manuscript almost ready to give her. I also have another one started, I have the sequel to Novan Witch well under way, I have the sequel to Immortal Tigress started and a dozen ideas running through my head for new romances. The big question is what the heck to do?

So, gentle readers, I put the question to you. What would you recommend I do next? I would love a bit of feedback on this one.
Anyway, on with the goals.


The Goals

1.      Blog twice each week over and above my ROW80 check-ins
I’m right on track here.

2.      Continue to read and comment on the blogs of my fellow writers
I’m happy with where I am here as well. So many wonderful blogs, so little time…

3.      Write at least 2K words on a WIP each week
This is temporarily on hold. Perhaps I can get it back on track later this week.

4.      I set out to publish six novels this year. I managed three last round, and two more between rounds, so that leaves me with one more novel to publish. I will see if I can get it out this round.
See above for the mess I’m in here.

5.      Read and review two or more first novels by new writers this round
One down, one to go here.  All good.

6.      Publish two or more short works, between five and twenty five thousand words.
One down and one to go here, but I have no worries about this one.

Ok, that’s it for me on this snowy day in the frozen North. How are you folks doing? Are you reaching your goals?  What would you do with a dilemma such as mine?

13 comments:

  1. As I may hold the world's record for attempts to revise a manuscript that suffers exactly what you describe, I advise letting it go, and make yourself do it. An interim suggestion is to see if it works as a short story, which I am considering one more time. For me, it is one character that holds me to this manuscript, silly but true.

    Truly, I wish you all the best with this, Prudence.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen. I do agree that I must let this one go, but it is like letting go of a favored child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you at least leave your new winter boots where you could get to them??? As for the story, put it away. you just got through saying that you learned a lot about writing recently and were still letting it absorb. In a year or two, pull this manuscript out and look at it afresh. Either the solution to the perfect rewrite will come to you, or some other lesson will come out of it. A hurdler clipping a hurdle in the middle of a race has not failed unless he doesn't learn to keep his feet up. Don't pitch it until you have learned whatever lesson there is for you in those pages, but keep it for the lesson, not to beat yourself up with. As for what to do now?? I vote for a sequel!! Which one you ask??? Ah crap. I want them both. Ummmm.... *flipping coin* .....Tigress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I left my boots where I could find them, dang good thing too; I've needed them.

      Delete
  4. Put the favored manuscript in the bin above the studio with your winter clothes but swear you'll take it out in the fall and reread it with an eye toward revising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words of wisdom, Pat, and I shall heed them. (Tucks the ms into a file drawer and turns to the next one.)

      Delete
  5. Hi Prudence! though I am not as seasoned as these other writers, I must say that Pat's suggestion makes a lot of sense to me. But I can imagine how hard it is to let go of your baby. Not for long. You can visit and revisit right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Karen, I will pull her out again in a few months for a fresh look.

      Delete
  6. Pru, I hear you about the revising issue ... once you 'unstring the beads' it's a mess. As to what to put forward next, you gotta go with your heart on that ... the one that you enjoy the most ... to me that is what comes through to readers ... of course, don't look a my track record for verification, but I still say if you really like something, your audience will sense it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right on the mark, Chris. I'll re-read a few of the partials and whichever one talks to me to is the next winner. Thanks for weighing in.

      Delete
  7. I think it can be salvaged, if you really love it. But it would probably do well to let it sit for a while. As for other work - I loved The First Key (I need to review it!) and would love more stories set in that world! The First Key is also proof of how capable you are of throwing horrible obstacles in your characters' way - and getting them out of it, so I have confidence that you can rescue the other story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennette. Speaking of The First Key, I guess I'd better look at the next installment soon. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  8. Oooooh! Good call Jennette!! I concur! I want The Second Key!! ummm and Tigress....and...Hmmmph. Now I am sharing your dilema. I don't know which I want more!!

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest