Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Friday, December 30, 2011

The Dreaded To-Do List


The Dreaded To Do List

I had fought the good fight, for lo these past eons, but I have lost. The sheer odds had overwhelmed me and I capitulated. Alas (yes I do actually use that word when I speak. J ) the time had finally arrived when I could carry on the battle no longer.
In my first marriage, I would often return home from a long day at work to find a to-do list, with my name on it, taped to the fridge. That rarely led to domestic harmony, as you may have already surmised. So, in the long and beautiful years with my loving K, I had steadfastly refused to use such a list. I had always managed quite well, so far, but no longer.
For some strange reason, my retirement seems to be busier than my work-a-day life was, or perhaps my ability to stay on top of it all has vanished. My days are now filled with socializing on-line and off, writing, housekeeping, dog walking, blog reading and writing, book promoting, and the list goes on.
Realizing I was about to drown in it all, I asked K for suggestions. With a knowing smile, she showed me her daily to-do list. It was staggering. My gods, the woman must be on super speed to get all that done in a day. So, with hanging head and trembling lip, I agreed to try it.
Ok, stop laughing, I admit it works wonders. Last thing at night I make the list for the next day. I am astounded at how much I can get accomplished and at how well I am keeping up. I am actually enjoying myself, but I swear, I will never tape it to the fridge. Now, if I can just find that dang round-to-it that I lost, imagine how much more I could get done in a day.
So, my fellow super humans, do do you stay on top of it all?

10 comments:

  1. You're a braver person than I am, that's for sure. I tried a few times to make to-do lists and it never really worked for me. I always wrote "make a to-do list" as number one so I could cross it off right away. You know, for motivation. But then I would always write down more than I could actually do, or I'd just write down the things I was already going to do anyway. Now I just try to get one "chore" thing done each day. All the things I want to do, I'm going to do whether I write them down or not. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaahhh!!!! The dreaded list! I pretty much wing everything I do;-) Lists are one of those unreasoning fears I have. I've never had to deal with them in the context you described, (Bastard), but ever since reading some Terry Pratchett novels a couple years ago I started avoiding them. You are very brave;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, I will keep you posted on my progress or lack thereof. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do really well with a list, for a while. then I find myself making a list of many many small projects rather than saying "clean my bedroom".

    but i have decided to give it a different take this year. I have a sheet divided in half. left side is the list of things to do this week. right side has three parts: top is "what's happening that may affect my ability to get stuff done". second third is a question: What task am I avoiding that I promise I will complete this week?. Bottom third is empty. I add things there that I'd like to do or don't want to forget about or need to keep seeing. I keep it close to me so I can remember to look at it. and I don't worry about putting things on the parking lot for next week either.

    works great on google docs, so I can review my list anywhere.

    anyway, i'm working with this process for the month of January to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a very good system Louise, I hope it works for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would get *nothing* done without my to-do list! Crossing something off is sooooo satisfying, too. I have the problem of putting more on it than anyone could humanly accomplish in a day, so I break it into WINNERS - things I'm pretty sure I can get through, and SUPERSTARS - bonuses. And I'm LOL that you actually do say "alas" - you're the first person I know who does! I even wrote a blog about it. :) Good luck with your list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award... Read my post for details http://bipolar2happiness.com/2011/12/31/i-got-a-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pru, I've tried the 'to-do' list thing ... always turned into my 'never-gonna-do-it' list. Finally gave up and realized that I just have to do what ever I'm doing at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep a planner, and write all manner of things in it, large & small. If I don't write an important chore or appointment down, I'd completely forget about it!
    I can hardly imagine coming home from a long day of work to a list taped to the fridge. So glad you are in a better place, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, a planner, not a bad idea at all. Thanks Cynthia. Have a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest