Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Enlightening



Hi folks, it’s time for the Wednesday report. Sunday I started keeping track of where the time goes. It has been enlightening so far. The good news is I can easily see how to fix this thing. The down side is I am beginning to see that Pogo was right all those years ago when he said, “I have seen the enemy and he is us.”

Yep, I have seen the enemy and she appears to be me. As far as I can see, one of the biggest impediments to my productivity is me getting sucked into the internet. I know social media is the way to connect with friends, colleagues, fellow writers, readers, etc. and I love it. Too much. 

This whole process is still a work in progress, but I have hopes it will prove productive. So, here’s me doing internet research. (Playing World of Warcraft.) Honest, it keeps the juices flowing. Really.)

I’d like to thank everybody who gave me tips and especially Jennette Marie Powell for steering me to a great book. Keep those ideas coming folks, I need all the help I can get.

Now, time for the ROW80 check in.

Goals:
1.      Write 10,000 words per week. (I’ve managed about 6K so far this week. I’m happy with that. I may just make the ten after all.)
2.      Read 10,000 words per week. (Done.)
3.      Edit ten pages of a completed MS. (Done.)
4.      Feature a new author every Friday (Volunteers anyone?)
5.      Read and comment on 10 blogs per week. (Five so far. I have to work on that, it’s the fun part.)
6.      Log my computer time to see where I can change my work and play habits for the better. (Done. I warn you, this can be an eye opener. eesh)

Well, that’s pretty much it for today. If you want to share any ideas about how to work smarter, I’d be happy to listen.

Folks, if you are an author and want to be featured on this blog, just drop me a line here:  prudymac@gmail.com


8 comments:

  1. I certainly understand letting the internet get in the way of being a productive writer. I know I can let it suck me in and then when I look up hours have gone by. Good luck with managing your time to your benefit. I'm right there with you.

    Peace to you,
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgan, yes indeed, the internet is the ultimate toy; there's always a promise of something new and interesting. You'd think that at my age I would have mastered a bit of self discipline.

      Delete
  2. World of Warcraft. Should be World of Avoidance or War Against Doing Something Constructive.

    I'm that way with crossword puzzles. Once I start, there's no tearing that book out of my hand.

    Here's to avoidance! I'm lifting my cyber glass and clinking it with yours.

    Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, a fellow crossword addict. I know what you mean, the puzzle must be solved! aaaahhhhh!!!!!!! *clinks cyber glass in return and takes a long pull of chocolate milk laced with Bailey's*

      Delete
  3. LOL My current "research" is called "Airport Mania." I'm glad you found the Rachel Aaron book helpful! I just need to work on the enthusiasm and knowledge parts of the triangle. Book I'm working on just won't gel - ugh! Good luck with yours and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, Jennette, it really is research... honest. *shuffles feet and puts on most winning smile that never works on a mother*

      Delete
  4. You've done great! Sheesh! But I think the logging your computer time is brilliant--which is why I won't do it quite yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, yes indeed, the log book is a frightening thing. Who knew I was such a time waster? eeesh

      Delete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest