Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

An opportunity to Effect Change

Hi Folks,

I've been asked what I mean when I say I try to educate with each novel. Okay, I'll tell you. Each story I write has something in it I want the reader to take away with them. Subconsciously. If they have an epiphany and get it, so much the better, but not necessary to enjoy the story. My latest is a case in point.

So, can a novelist actually help create change in society? Kristen Lamb's latest blog post goes into depth on this point. I do suggest you read it. Here's the link.

For me, I truly hope I can give change a nudge in the right direction. This is how I try to educate as well as entertain in my books.

ROW80 check in

So far this week is showing promise of a healthy word count. I've already hit the target for the week, now I want to push it a bit.

Here's hoping all your targets are within reach this week.

Bless
Pru

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on reaching your weekly goal and good luck on pushing it from a ROW80 blog hopping friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Moon. All encouragement greatly appreciated. :)

      Delete
  2. I think it's weird that someone even asked you that question. I think every fiction author, in some small way, teaches a lesson of some sort or another in everything they write. It's part of our voice, our make-up, our foundation. It comes across subtly in our writing. We all have a political and religious slant in our "voice" whether we try to bring it out or not. Our characters, their dilemmas, how they solve their problems, are all reflections of who we are.

    So . . . good for you for "teaching" in your books. In my opinion, you're doing it right.

    Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as you try to make the world a better place, then I think you will have succeeded. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your word count this week. I also have been following Kristen Lamb's thoughts on 50 Shades of Gray, and find her passionate defense of the need for ethics in fiction convincing. Violence against women being a flash point for many. Our stories do matter. I remember reading somewhere a few decades back that popular romances helped to bring about changes in how women saw themselves -- as heroines capable of moving past stereotypes. My own stories tend to revolve around issues related to wealth, poverty, and fairness. So, may the week ahead be a good one with many more words, and may you win that prize from Kristen Lamb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I firmly believe that, as writers, we have a responsibility to our readers, to give them something that helps them grow as well as entertaining them. Hope you have a successful and happy week ahead.

      Delete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest