Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Playing with My Sleep Patterns

Hi folks,

Well, I'm back again. I am happy to report the sudden illness in the family seems to be improving. M went home from hospital yesterday. Now I am trying to refocus on my writing. However, I didn't last week.


These past few days have been stellar, weather wise. This has been the worst summer I can remember, but last week was more like this.

The result is lots of outside maintenance, painting and such, as well as new doors installed. Not so much writing.


However, I have managed to find another two or more hours per day of possibilities. Here's how that came to pass.

I have been exhausted for months, bad weather, poor air quality, etc. and not enough sleep. As hard as I might try, the required eight hours escaped me. We have too many people and animals in a too small space for that to happen. Results? One constantly groggy and grumpy Prudence.

While reading an article about sleep patterns it came to me. I was getting enough time to sleep, but not using it wisely. I don't need eight hours of sleep per day, what I need are four REM cycles. Six hours in total.

So, what to do different? When I wake up to use the bathroom (when you get old you will too) I stay up and work or play or something. As soon as I start to feel drowsy I have a nap. I repeat that cycle throughout the day. It works out to about one short sleep and two power naps per day. Results? Roughly six hours of sleep in total and a brain that is fully alert all the time. Loving this.


ROW80 Check-in  

Okay, as I said above, much of last week was lost to household maintenance. However, I did manage to write about six thousand words during one of my nocturnal adventures. I write from three a.m. to six then went back for a power nap. Great stuff. The goal for this coming week is eight thousand words. (And lots of editing as well)

On another note, things have gotten a bit frustrating for me on the writing front. The editor is behind schedule (not her fault) and our cover artist seems to have been devoured by a day job. we are months behind in our releases now and it's starting to make me twitchy.

 Patience, girl, patience. (the voice of my evil twin brother)
Patience my arse, I'm gonna kill something. (First I have to write up a bad guy to kill. hehehe)

Well, that's it for me this time. I do hope the road to success for you is a bit smoother than that. Drop me a line to let me know how you're getting on. I do love to hear from you.

Bright Blessings
Pru

Pru's ads.
Click on any book cover to be taken to it's point of sale on Amazon.com. My books can also be found on Smashwords, Sony, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Apple, Diesel, and many others.

Also there's the link to my newsletter. They come out infrequently, but will keep you up to date on publishing goals, books in progress, as well as content that does not appear elsewhere about day to day life here on my island of stone. As well we always include a coupon for a free book. Sign up today. Just click on my picture at the top right of the page.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everyone is feeling better :) I fully understand the life interruptions in writing. This week will be a smoother trek on that road to success I'm sure. (at least it better be lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the sleep has improved for you.!


    Just remember, this is a new week, fresh chances and new opportunities. I do hope that things smooth out for you. It's rough when road block occurs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cindy, every new week is a basket full of new and wonderful opportunities. May your basket be full of joy. :)

      Delete
  3. I also have unusual sleep patterns - I tend to follow the moon.

    Life happens. I'm guessing that, in time, it will feed your writing, because it's feeding your soul and sprucing up your nest. =)

    Hoping this week holds much creative delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shan, I confess I have always loved being out of doors in the middle of the night when everybody else is asleep. It feels positively naughty to give myself permission to indulge in this odd form of delight. I think it is the silence of the world that truly feeds my soul.
      Oh yeah, yesterday we installed another storm door. Lots of work to make it fit, but looking forward to the winter for the pay off.

      Delete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest