Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Language





Okay, it’s time for the ROW80 check-in. I’ve missed a few recently due to pressures in getting two books launched at the same time. (I have such a hard life. Tee hee) 

So this is a re-post, but I believe it still has relevance.


I have come under a bit of criticism for my excessive use of terms of endearment in my writing. I’ve also been chastised for not using enough contractions. Okay, fair enough, I do use a lot of terms of endearment, but language is a truly beautiful thing. By being conscious of the way we speak, and deliberately manipulating that, we can create beautiful things. Here’s an example of a conversation I heard long ago out west.

A man walks into a coffee shop where he has not been before. The girl behind the counter is a stranger to him.
Girl. “What’ll ya have?”
Man. “Coffee, black. Make it snappy.”
“For here or to go?”
“To go.”
“Buck fifty please. Thank you, have a nice day.”
“Right.” Man walks out.

Now, let’s do it again as it would happen in Newfoundland.

Girl. “Yes m’love, what’ll it be today?”
Man. “Tall and black, my darling. I’m a bit pushed for time.”
Girl. “For here or to go?”
“To go.”
“There you go, my ducky. That’s a dollar fifty. Thanks Luv, have a great day now.”
“Bless your heart, my darling.” Man walks out.

I have been asked many times why people stay in Newfoundland, the climate is hard and life isn’t always easy, but people always want to go back there, why? Well the use of language is one reason, I’m sure. Those lilting voices and gentle terms of endearment are a big draw, definitely one of the reasons I stay here.

So I give you this, if you want a loving and happy life, speak loving and happy words. It is easy to be cynical or negative, but it breeds more of the same.  Use the words you speak each and every day to create a beautiful and loving life for yourself. Go ahead, try it. What have you got to lose?



Now for this round’s goals.

1.      Write 10,000 words per week.
2.      Read and comment on a blog a day.
3.      Give the folks on my mailing list a few peeks into upcoming works.


That’s about all I am shooting for this time. It is spring and there’s a lot to do outside. (End of winter celebration. Aka, clean up the yard, make firewood, and built an extension onto the studio.)

So, let me know what you’re up to and how you’re getting on. I do love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest