Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Worth Doing

Hi folks,

A few days ago I did something unusual, I checked the reviews on some of my older works. Back in the latter years of the twentieth century, I lost a friend to suicide; she was transgendered. a few years later I wrote a book to honor her struggle and to show how it really should have worked out for her. When I checked the reviews, this is what I found.

This review is from: Shelly's Turn (Kindle Edition)
I held off on buying this book for a long time. I know nothing about transgender people so I thought the book would be of no interest to me. I was wrong I really enjoyed it and learnt a couple of things about transgender people along the way. The story has several love stories in it and the one involving the two moms was the most surprising by far. The way Shelly's dad went from narrow minded to grudgingly accepting in the space of a day seemed a little too fast. The boys in this book were far too nice I have yet to meet a guy who is half as nice as those guys. I liked Shelly she was an interesting person and she had to suffer for years as her father beat the crap out of her every time she insisted she was a girl. I learned a lot about the mindset of transgender people from this book as I have never met a transgender person i never really thought about it before. I loved the fact the book had a happy ending and was money well spent in the end.



Whoever the reviewer is, she made my day. The best part? Her world is a little bigger now, her eyes a bit more open. This is one of the main reasons I write, to reach people, show them something they hadn't seen before, or to shed a different light on something familiar. And I know Felicia would be pleased with that review. It makes it all worth doing.

ROW80 Check-in

Last week I had a rather animated meeting with my editor and business adviser. We took a hard look at how the writing schedule and targets had gone to hell in a hand basket when I got sick last spring, where we are now, and beat out some ideas how we can get ourselves back on track. It was a lively discussion, but a tough one too.
The results? Big changes in the schedule, changes in marketing strategy, and a few minor changes in my writing style. Nobody promised it would be easy, but as I always say, "Change is life and life is change. Embrace it." I'll do show and tell when we do the next goal setting session on ROW80.

So, my efforts last week: six thousand words on WIP, many hours of fussing and grumping with re-writes. (another 3K there)

Targets for this week? More of the same. 6K on the WIP and get as close to done on the rewrites as I can. (Did I hear the sound of a whip cracking?)

Well that's it for me today, folks. Drop me a line and let me know how you're making out. I'd love to hear from you.

Bless
Pru


Pru's ads.
Click on any book cover to be taken to it's point of sale on Amazon.com. My books can also be found on Smashwords, Sony, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Apple, Diesel, and many others.

Also here's the link to my newsletter. They come out infrequently, but will keep you up to date on publishing goals, books in progress, as well as content that does not appear elsewhere about day to day life here on my island of stone. As well we always include a coupon for a free book. Sign up today. Just click on my picture at the top right of the page.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it cool when a new review comes out of nowhere? Keep working on that word count! and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris, yep, I truly have to check those reviews more often. That book had only three reviews, all in the same vein. Sure picked up my mood and reminded me why I do what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, congrats on the great review! That really is the sort of thing to make your day and boost your confidence, isn't it? Best of luck with the goals and the change in the schedule; those changes are usually what's needed to really give new life to productivity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We are hopeful that the changes will at least inspire me to get busy at the computer. hehehe Thanks for the good wishes. :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely review, Prudence (which I now know, thanks to Pat, is Jenny). And what a great surprise to find. Sounds like you were able to touch a life. That's what it's all about isn't it?

    Keep up the good work.

    Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, Pat ratted me out did she? tee hee. The name thing began as a way to hide from certain people and just grew from there. Now, I'm, Pru when on line and Jenny when I'm off the computer. I will answer to either, especially when chocolate is involved.
      Yeah, when you can touch someone, help open their eyes to a broader experience of life, that's when you know you've got it right. Makes my day.

      Delete
  5. It is always a good feeling to touch someone's life in a good way, isn't it? It gives a deeper meaning as to why we do what we do. So satisfying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed so, Karen. It makes it all worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest