Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Sunday, January 19, 2014

It’s all a Plot

Hi folks,

Well, today I confess I am in a bit of a quandary. I’ve just finished up a novella (50K words) and gave it to the editor. Darn good thing too as I have already started on the five book series scheduled for this year. The quandary? Well, all five of them are talking to me at once.

Let me explain. This is how I write a book. I sit to the computer, put my hands in place and say, “All right, somebody tell me a story.” A character comes, often with friends, and so it begins. I have no idea what will happen next until I write it down.

So now I have five sets of voices trying to tell me a story all at once, all are interconnected, and each is unique. Argh. Sadly, I know the answer to the quandary all too well. I fear I must sit down and write an outline for each story. I must plot and plan.  All I can say is, “Wish me luck.”

ROW80


Last week I set out my goals for this year. This week saw some progress on that march. I have sent the 50K novella to the editor and started on the five book series. I’m about 10K into the first one, but realize I have to stop and outline all five so they can fit together properly.
So, the goals for this week are: get the outlines written plus at least another 5K on the lead book. I also hope to get a cover ready for Frankie. (the novella)
We also hope to get the newsletter out this week. As always there will be a coupon for a free book as well as  excerpts from upcoming books, info and news I don’t share anywhere else, and more. To sign up for the newsletter just go to the top of the page. The link is on my smiling face at the right.

Drop me a line and let me know how you’re getting on. I do love to hear from you.
Until next week,
Bless
Pru


3 comments:

  1. I'm a plotter, and I tend to work on plotting one story while drafting or editing something else(okay, sometimes I work on projects in all 3 stages at once). I'm still plotting one and have the characters talking to me and each other. I've had bits of dialogue popping into my head all weekend and I'm not even ready to start writing it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fallon, I envy you folks who can set it up like that. It will make my life easier if I learn how, I'm sure. I get the bit about the voices and dialogue, some days they can drive you crazy.

      Delete
  2. I know how you feel. I'll be up to my eyeballs in one story when all of a sudden another character will start yammering in my ear. Sometimes, to keep them quiet, I'll give them a few pages of writing in their story before I go back to my current WIP. I'm also not a plotter, but I'm trying to learn to blend some plotter methods into my pantser writing style. Happy writing, Pru!

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest