Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Immortal Rhubarb



Hi folks, today I want to talk rhubarb and a ROW80 check-in. No, they are not the same thing, stop laughing. Let’s start with rhubarb. This is an interesting plant that reproduces from seeds, but also from root cuttings. Who cares? She does.




There she sits, in my back yard where she has been for a very long time, perhaps generations. She was probably brought here by the Irish immigrants hundreds of years ago. Who can say how far back in time her history goes? One thing I can be sure of, this beautiful gal predates Monsanto and GMOs by a long shot.

So there she sits, enjoying a rainy day and proudly displaying her seeds for all to see, just as she has done for millennia.  Just how tall is my sassy lassy? Here’s a pic from last year so you can see.


I truly hope my legacy will last as long as hers has. J


ROW80

Okay, for today’s check in I will admit to writing 5K words in the past week of busy madness. I have also managed to read and comment on a few blogs as well, but not nearly half as many as I would liked to have.

So there it is, 5K, lots of mad rushed trips to town, lots of waiting for boats, one trip to the dentist, and a great idea for a future book. No, I’ll tell you about that later. J

Let me know how you’re doing, I do love to hear from you. You can also sign up for my newsletter which will give you more about what’s going on here in the middle of the ocean. The link is at the top on the right.


Until next week, may your days be filled with sunshine and smiling faces.

10 comments:

  1. So do you make strawberry rhubarb pie? I don't care for it, but my mom loves it. Didn't get any writing done this week, but I did get three book covers designed, so that's something. 5k would be wonderful! Congrats on that progress, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennette, actually if I could get three book covers designed in a week I'd think I was in heaven. That's awesome.
      Yes my dear, strawberry and rhubarb pie, rhubarb and pineapple jam, rhubarb and pear jam, stewed rhubarb,and the list goes on. :)

      Delete
  2. I never knew what a rhubarb plant looked like...interesting! You're making me want to be brave and actually taste the strawberry rhubarb pie next time it's on offer. I always look at it on the various pie menus out of curiosity before moving on to the oh so safe but delicious banana cream. I am impressed by your word volume! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, this plant is bigger than most I've seen, but the smaller ones actually have sweeter stalks. I have to cut off the seed stalks now and trim out the biggest so the new sweeter stalks can grow. Rhubarb has many medicinal qualities so I'm told. The flavor is both tart and sweet at the same time. Try it, you'll like it. :)

      Delete
  3. That's a great-looking plant!

    I think 5000 words is awesome. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura, and my happy plant thanks you too. :)

      Delete
  4. I love rhubarb. Yummy in pies. Your's is a beauty.

    Good luck with the writing goals!

    Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Patricia, there are actually two of the beasts in the yard. :)
    Yep, gotta love rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're making great progress. And you are enjoying some nice weather Pru. Love the comment, "this beautiful gal predates Monsanto and GMOs." Yea for that! And she's huge. I see lots of pies in your future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Karen. Yep, pies, jams, tarts, and the list goes on. :)

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest