Prudence MacLeod's Writings

I'm not just a wanna be farmer, I'm also a writer. I write romance, sci-fi, and action/adventure. Sometimes I even blend the three just for fun.

The romance novels are listed on the left of the page. The other books are listed on the right of the page. Please enjoy. You can also check the other pages of this blog for more.

I also play a lot of World of Warcraft; if you're a player you may spot where that hobby creeps into my writing. :)

You can contact me here: prudymac@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

On With the Story

Hi Folks,

It's a cold windy day here, perfect for story telling. So far we've talked about creating the characters and getting into the bad guy's head. Today let's talk about getting the story moving. There are any number of ways to do that. I suggest you try a few to see what works best for you.


I talked about some of the characters in Hell Comes Home. Let's return to that story. Here's how I got it going.

As a child I used to sit under the kitchen table and listen to my dad and his buddies tell stories. I got to know all their stories and could tell when somebody changed a few things to make a story better.

To get Hell Comes Home rolling I sat back in my chair, closed my eyes, and imagined listening to Dad's buddy Willard tell him the story. "Now, Hugh, you remember when Gary Rivers went nuts and killed all them folks. Well, his niece Melanie, she was a wild one..."

It didn't take long before I was typing like crazy. That's how it works for me, not a lot of plotting and planning, just storytelling as I learned it over sixty years ago.

Give it a try on a short story, see if it'll work for you.

ROW80

Okay, checking in again. Seems like I'm not as regular at this as I should be. Anyway, the target for the past week was 2500 words. Success. That puts the current WIP at just over 27,000 words. 

So, on that note, the target for next week will be to push the total over 30,000.

Here's hoping all you folks have had a stellar summer and are now looking forward to Halloween hi-jinks. 

Bright Blessings to you, one and all
Pru

No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked Blogs

Followers

WANA

WANA
Proud member of WANATribe

ROW 80 blog hop

Stumbled Upon

Women's Nest

The Women's Nest